MeRT is an individualized application of Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS). We start with a quantitative electroencephalogram (qEEG) to map your brainwave activity to identify any patterns of dysfunction as well as find your brain’s signature frequency. Based on your qEEG data, a personalized treatment protocol is generated. We then use FDA-cleared equipment to apply gentle magnetic waves that stimulate targeted areas of your brain to optimize neural connectivity.
MeRT is not a cure for any neurological or mental health conditions. However, it may help reduce symptoms and behaviors related to brainwave dysfunction and improve quality of life.
Did you know the brain is composed of approximately 100 billion neurons that interact through tiny electrical oscillations, or brainwaves?
The neurons in the brain can be disrupted by many factors:
Disruptions can be minimal or severe. Thanks to the neuroplasticity of the brain, brain function can be improved with a little help from science. Using gentle magnetic pulses, we can safely modify the electrical oscillations between neurons, or brainwaves, to optimal frequencies, which can lead to improvements in clinical symptomatology.
Did you know that we all have 4 types of brainwaves that are associated with different frequencies and states of functioning?
Alpha (8-13 Hz), Beta (13-30 Hz), Theta (4-8 Hz), Delta (0-4 Hz)
“What we’ve learned is that everyone has a unique frequency or unique signature. All of us during our waking hours, we’re looking for something called an alpha frequency (8-13 Hertz) where our brain most comfortably operates in…you might be, for example, an 11.4 Hertz brain. I might be an 8.9 Hertz brain. And somebody else may be a 10.3 Hertz brain. It’s just kind of where we’re born…whether it’s through the physical trauma of a blast injury, or the chemical trauma of years of drug use, or the emotional trauma of seeing a loved one pass away, we may find areas of the brain that are not cycling at the same rate as the rest of our cortex. …
EEGs (electrical pictures of the brain) can tell us when there are abnormalities in neural networks… [then we] use this FDA cleared technology, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation, to navigate to the area that’s not working properly and try to stimulate it and remind it that it wants to fire at a certain frequency and a certain rate.”
Dr. Erik Won, President of Wave Neuroscience, from his appearance on the Broken Brain podcast
- Everyone’s brain is unique. We conduct a quantitative electroencephalogram (qEEG) to map your brain’s activity paired with an electrocardiogram (EKG) to analyze brain-heart coherence as part of your baseline health assessment.
Using your qEEG data, we identify your brain’s signature frequency as well as detect any areas that are not communicating or connecting proficiently. Dysregulated brain activity is often associated with symptoms such as inattentiveness, fatigue, hyperactivity, anxiety, depression, poor emotional regulation, brain fog, memory issues, and more. Thus, the qEEG provides us a guide of each individual’s brain to customize their therapy.
- Your qEEG is analyzed by our team of Wave Neuroscience experts at their lab in Newport, CA. With advanced neuroscience technology, they are able to generate a personal, easy to understand report of your brain’s current functioning. They also develop your personalized MeRT treatment protocol. Treatment protocols include individually tailored treatment locations and magnetic frequencies based on your qEEG.
- MeRT therapy is implemented in our office using FDA-cleared equipment. A trained technician positions the magnetic coil on the designated regions of your brain identified in your treatment protocol. The coil then delivers gentle magnetic pulses programmed to your individualized treatment frequency and intensity for ~5 seconds at a time and repeats every ~30-45 seconds. Sessions are typically 30-45 minutes, five days per week for approximately six to eight weeks.
4. Near the end of every two weeks of therapy, we conduct another qEEG/EKG recording. Regular follow up qEEG/EKG recordings allow us to objectively measure and track your response to therapy. Your treatment protocol is also updated based on your latest qEEG/EKG data to ensure therapy is tailored to your brain’s current needs.
*Results of MeRT vary per individual and are not guaranteed. In general, the longer the length of MeRT therapy, the more benefits and the longer the changes remain.
Our Technology is powered by Wave Neuro and offered throughout the US at Brain Treatment Centers and BrainCare Performance Centers.
It’s natural for those affected by patterns of brain dysfunction to feel frustrated and alone. At Synapse Hawai’i, we offer insight into your brain functioning to help provide clarity and hope. We work with you to make an informed decision about whether MeRT is the right treatment for you or your loved one.
To assess if MeRT is right for you or your loved one:
- Our patient coordinator will answer any questions you have about MeRT as well as inquire about your chief complaint(s), symptomatology, age, screen for any absolute or relative contraindications (please see below), and schedule your initial consultation with our clinician.
- Our clinician will meet with you for a 30-minute, one-on-one initial consultation to answer additional questions, discuss eligibility, and clarify expectations for treatment outcomes.
- One of our technicians will schedule and perform a baseline qEEG assessment that is sent to our lab for analysis. The qEEG is painless and takes approximately 30 minutes for compliant adults and children.
- Our clinician then meets one-on-one with you again to review your baseline qEEG results. During this appointment, our clinician will explain brainwave patterns identified in your qEEG, how your symptoms and behaviors relate to your brainwave patterns, and identify where MeRT can help.
- MeRT is scheduled. Treatment is daily (Monday-Friday) and booked in 10 session (2 week) increments. Follow-up qEEG assessments are scheduled and administered near the end of every 10 treatment sessions to assess your progress and inform continued care.
The recommended length of treatment is four to six weeks in order to obtain maximized, long-lasting benefits of MeRT. Each individual responds differently to MeRT and results are not guaranteed.
Anyone with the following devices or conditions cannot receive MeRT at Synapse:
Pacemaker, Defibrillator, Vagal Nerve Stimulator, VP Shunt/ Magnetic intracranial shunts, Deep Brain Stimulator, Epidural Cortical stimulator, Steel shunts/stents, Cranial metal fragments (i.e. shrapnel, excluding titanium), Cochlear implant, Aneurysm clips, coils, pipelines flow diversion, Pregnant or breastfeeding, Primary brain cancer / metastatic lesions in brain (unless palliative care), Magnetic dental implants, Implanted cardio-verter defibrillators (ICD), Ocular implants, *Bipolar Disorder Type I/II, *Schizophrenia.
*May be treated at other TMS/MeRT centers, but not at Synapse Hawai’i
Anyone with the following devices or conditions require closer protocol attention and may or may not disqualify someone from receiving cortical MeRT treatment at Synapse:
History of seizure or seizure disorder, Titanium shunts/stents, Spinal Cord Stimulator, Unremovable hearing aids, Ferrous cortical implants, Magnetic ink tattoo, Baha Implant.
Common Benefits of MeRT following four to six weeks of continuous therapy include:
Results are individual in nature, depending on the initial presenting symptoms, and are not guaranteed.